Sunday, October 23, 2016

Brigham City Seventh Ward

Note: This post is one in a series that focuses on LDS architecture that is not historic, but that departs from standard cookie-cutter plans to become unique and beautiful in a different way. To see all of these posts, click here.

I stumbled across pictures of the Brigham City Seventh Ward in the Church History Library's Database.

(Image Source: Church History Library)
 The reason I decided to check this chapel out is because of what I saw on the walls in the old photos:

(Image Source: Church History Library)
 You'll see there are decorative flowers painted on the walls!

(Image Source: Church History Library)
Any type of painting in LDS chapels is a rarity, so I headed over. Unfortunately, I discovered something.

(Image Source: Google Maps Street View)
See the portion of the building on the right side of this photo? That's the chapel. I believe that the chapel originally used to be in the portion that jutted out toward the street; now, it's just classrooms. And the new chapel does not have any small paintings. It was a bit disappointing.

However, I did find this painting in the lobby:


Not your typical meetinghouse art, and a good touch for this chapel.

No comments:

Post a Comment