Sunday, September 8, 2019

Those Who Have Gone Before: Meadow Ward

This series honors LDS Architecture that is no longer standing. To see all the posts in this series, click here.

In my studies on LDS architecture, I come across countless buildings that are no longer standing that are fairly obscure. I always wish I could find out more about those buildings. The chapel that used to stand in Meadow, Utah, is one of them.

Meadow is a small town in the Pahvant Valley, just south of Fillmore. Named for the creek which runs through town, it is now more well-known for the hot springs and lava tubes found in the fields to its west.

 Currently, the chapel is a typical 1980s standard plan.

Image Source: Google Maps
 However, the chapel that was there before was really quite nice. The plaque that was on the building indicates that it was built in 1884. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but it was really a nice chapel.



The inside was nice (if not well photographed), but the real centerpiece was the pulpit.



 Delicate wood carvings depict a handshake surrounded by roses and branches spelling out "Welcome" beneath.



The handshake is a common Christian symbol; it can also be found on the Salt Lake Temple and in a stained glass window in Coalville.However, this carving is very similar to the Meadow welcome sign, probably too close to be a coincidence. It's a lovely little local touch on what was already a beautiful church.

Image Source: Wikipedia
I've really wanted to run by the new Church building in Meadow, just to see if the pulpit (or anything else) was preserved. The exterior is not promising. If anyone has any information on this building, I'd love to know more.

4 comments:

  1. I went to snow college years ago and attended a couple firesides in the current meeting house. Talking to senior members of the Meadow ward at the time yes the building was razed in 1984 but there was a fight to save and preserve the 1884 church building. In the end the church won. I remember through the firesides there was no detail of the old building in the new chapel. All the original detail perished along with the old chapel but perhaps I'm wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sad to hear that. I hipe the pulpit at least was preserved by the Church, even if it's in storage.

      Delete
  2. Replica of pulpit is in Church museum and pulpit is in the newer church but not in the chapel. Or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I guess I will have to make a trip to Meadow after all!

      Delete