Sunday, October 13, 2019

Coalville Tabernacle: Stained Glass Detail & Preservation

I have already done posts on the former Coalville Tabernacle and the chapel that replaced it and houses its paintings and stained glass. After my first visit I learned that the window at the front of the chapel has backlighting, and so I made another visit to properly photograph it.


This window is lovely, with cool green colors that contrast with the other windows.


A dove with an olive leaf is at the top of the window.




While there, I checked on the other windows and talked with some local members. The Church is taking good care of these historic artifacts--the paintings of the prophets were removed a couple of years ago for some cleaning and preservation efforts and then replaced. Now, the Church is working on the stained glass windows, taking them down one at a time to do repair and preservation efforts before replacing them. The south window was gone when I visited.


Finally, last time I visited, there were curtains on the sides of the stained glass windows; now, they have a bar at the top and a shade that comes down. The only issue is the bar blocks the top of the windows from being viewed properly, but it's a minor quibble. These stained glass windows are among the oldest in the Church, and I'm very happy to see that the Church is taking good care of them and keeping them in this chapel for local saints to enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I know you asked a while ago on another post of the Coalville Stake Center, but to my understanding the "unknown man" portrait in the earlier post is of Hyrum Smith. I am not 100% certain, but it most likely looks like other picture of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make the most sense to me as well. It's not like a usual portrait of Hyrum that I've seen, but it's my best guess.

      Delete
  2. Just saw this today:I found this article from The Salt Lake Tribune that you might be interested in: https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/10/25/university-utah-plans-buy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered what was happening with that building--it had disappeared from the LDS Maps tool. I'm sad it will no longer be used as a meetinghouse, but happy it's preserved.

      Delete
  3. I found this article from The Salt Lake Tribune that you might be interested in: https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2019/10/25/university-utah-plans-buy

    ReplyDelete