Unfortunately, I found out recently that the beautiful Loa Tabernacle is for sale. Built in 1909, it has undergone several renovations, including as recently as the 1990s. A new LDS stake center was recently built on the south end of town, and it's been unclear exactly what would happen to the tabernacle itself.
Obviously, my feelings are mixed. On the plus side, the tabernacle will not be demolished (hopefully), and the sale will allow the building to continue in another form (if there is an interested buyer). This is in contrast to other chapel sales, where demolition of the building was a requirement to buy.
But I'm disheartened the building couldn't continue to be used. I'm sure the old building caused issues, but there is no indication in the real estate listing of major structural issues that are threatening it. At some level the decision was made that the maintenance on this building wasn't worth it. That is a fair decision for a Church that is supporting millions of members worldwide to make. But it feels like we are consistently losing these architectural treasures.


The church has literally 100s of billions of dollars. The relatively small cost of preserving the Loa Tabernacle is miniscule. These are decisions made by bureaucrats who don't care about history, art or beauty, just the efficiency of the moment. The new stake centre is just another big box store with a steeple. Just think for an instant what memories are enshrined in the Loa building: how many sermons, how many funerals , how many home comings, how great leaders have spoken in that building, so much history. It is a shame.
ReplyDeleteOur chapel is for sale as well and it's disappointing; I love that building! However, you and I are not privvy to the bigger picture. There could be a myriad of reasons why these decisions are made. The most important part is that we have a location to gather as Latter-day Saints to take the sacrament and renew our covenants.
DeleteHello! My name is Dean and I have an LDS YouTube Channel called Preach and Ponder where I try to discuss under-explored and sometimes esoteric topics in our Religion.
ReplyDeleteI would love to do an episode on my YouTube channel about LDS architecture and its history. If you're willing, would there be a time we could chat virtually about it and go over what we might like to cover? If you aren't willing, is there anyone else you recommend that I speak to?
Thanks again! My email is Preachandponder@gmail.com
My father purchased the Bluebell, UT chapel in 1975 and I lived there with my family for eight years until 1983. The building is still there though more recent owners have completely changed the look to where now it is unrecognizable. If I were ever to have the funds, I would want to rebuild the Bluebell Ward chapel from the original architectural plans. The chapel was more than a ward house. It was a movie theater, a gym, and a funeral parlor. The projection room for the movie theater adaptation was above my bedroom, which was the middle of three primary and Sunday School classrooms. The Church had started a renovation project on the building before deciding to end the Bluebell town (because the town and the ward were pretty much the same thing) by establishing the nearby Altamont 2nd ward where I attended church the entirety of the time we lived in Bluebell. Do you know where I might find the original plans for old LDS church buildings, like the one in Bluebell, and the one in Altonah, Tabiona, and etc. around the Uintah Basin?
ReplyDelete