Sunday, June 15, 2014

Parowan Tabernacle

Completed in 1867, the Parowan Tabernacle was used heavily by the community until it was replaced by a new meetinghouse in 1916. It was then largely abandoned, and people even tore off its steps and fences to use as firewood.

 (Source: Church History Library)
Years later, the Church gifted the building to the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, and it currently holds a museum that is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 1-5 PM on every day except Sunday. It's a good example of members taking the initiative to save older buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment