Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Payson Second Ward

I've had a conflict in identifying this building--I've seen it identified as the Payson Second Ward; the LDS Church History Library identified it as the Payson Fifth Ward. Whether it's the 5th or 2nd ward, it was built in 1896.

(Source: Church History Library)

As you can see, there have been many changes--most notably, the grand entrance facing the corner was renovated into classrooms and offices. I'm not sure how I feel about the exterior, which is now a light shade of green.


It is still a lovely building, and the chapel is stunning. Incidentally, this chapel also used to have a social hall that is now demolished and the cultural hall (connected to the meetinghouse) stands in its place:

(Source: Church History Library)

2 comments:

  1. I just learned this chapel has been put up for sale. Is the church now selling all historical chapels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they have, which is really sad. It sometimes does feel like all historic chapels are being sold or razed. There are several that I documented on this blog that are now gone. :/

      Delete