Thursday, June 23, 2016

Lehi Fourth Ward

There's a bit of a story behind the next couple of posts on the Lehi 4th Ward. This beautiful structure originally stood here, in northeast Lehi:

(Image Source: Church History Library)

It was constructed in 1912-1913. In 1952, it underwent extensive renovations, which included additions on the building's north side (the right of the photo.)

The stained glass (visible in the photo) was at the back of the chapel; at the front was a large painting of Christ. The basement was one large room that could be separated into classrooms with curtains.

The building was demolished sometime after 1985. After some research, I was told that the stained glass had been placed in the building that replaced it on the same site. Eagerly, I went to the new chapel.


 However, this is what I found:


The organ is lovely, but there was no trace of the stained glass window. I combed the entire building, and finally asked the local bishopric about their knowledge. It turns out the stained glass window had been transferred to a building a few blocks over, which houses the Lehi Sego Lily Ward.


Unfortunately for me, the building was closed for cleaning for a couple of months. Luckily, you won't have to wait that long--I'll show the window and details of it in my next posts.

6 comments:

  1. Information is not correct. The stained glass was in the original 4th ward chapel on 9th North and 6th East. The stained glass window is in the chapel in the Sego Lily Ward on 9th North and 6th East. You have a picture of the Stake Center on 9th North and 12th East. The old 4th Ward church was never there. It is indeed on the original site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. I don't know why I originally thought it was in the first chapel.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the information. My great grandparents attended the 4th Ward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Grand Parents are Byron and Ada Whipple. They lived right next door to this building. They both served in various church callings a good portion of their lives in this building. I attended with my parents many summers when we were there. I’ll never quite understand why they tear down such beautiful old buildings. Great find. Keep the memories alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely beautiful. Too bad I can't find any pictures of the interior; I'm sure it was breathtaking!

      Delete