Thursday, September 15, 2016

Beaver Dam Ward

Located in the mountains above Garland, the Beaver Dam Ward (also known as the Beaver Ward) chapel has stood there for over 100 years. It was built in 1898.

(Image Source: Church History Library)
 Overall, it looks pretty good, although it does look like it could use some exterior work, especially on the tower. In the original picture above, you'll notice some details that are barely visible now (like the pair of diamonds near the top).


The building received a cultural hall (see image below) in the 1950s; in the 1980s, it was given an entirely new chapel on the opposite side, and the original chapel became the primary room. Both additions used the same local stone that was used to build the original portion. While I'm very happy to see such sensitive work, I am baffled that a small chapel in the middle of nowhere got such sensitive treatment, while other much more well-known historical buildings didn't. That's just the way it goes, sometimes.

(Image Source: Church History Library)

3 comments:

  1. I grew up in Beaver Dam, and lived there from birth (1967) to adulthood. I remember going to primary there during the week, and climbing the stairs to go to sacrament meeting-- all held in the chapel upstairs. We played basketball and other games in the gym (and ran around in circles in the dark as a small kid). I loved ward parties there, and remember having a lot of fun with dances, road shows, plays, weddings, and other events. I was sad when they took down the picture of Jesus in the chapel upstairs. It really was part of the personality of the building, and I wish I knew where it went! I realize they needed more class rooms, and that's why they made the chapel upstairs smaller, but I do miss the old larger capacity chapel, complete with the cry room/nursery in the back. The classroom on the ground floor that is closest to the front of the building under the steeple has a really cool round window with a very thick sill. I remember wishing I could climb up there and sit in it during my classes. There were a lot of wonderful testimonies born and spirit filled meetings there. I love this old church, and I am glad it is still there, serving so many good people. Thank you for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I also played the original organ there many times, and was taught how by a few words from Marie Johnson (I called her Aunt Marie, but she was really my Great- Aunt on my Dad's side.) Anna Durfey also taught me a little bit of how to accompany a congregation. It probably was about 2 minutes worth of guidance and then I was left on my own. I loved playing the organ there, and played for many services, including my grandmother Lucille Bateman/Johnson/Roundy's funeral. My Great Aunt Blanche Johnson and My Great Aunt Marie would trade off on the organ. Aunt Blanche used to always sit up on the stand with Anna Durfey and they would often bear their testimonies on fast Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe Great Aunt Blanche is the one that taught me about the organ? Anyway, it was one of those three ladies.

    ReplyDelete