Sunday, May 19, 2019

Newport Beach (CA) Ward

Note: This post is one in a series that focuses on LDS architecture that is not historic, but that departs from standard cookie-cutter plans to become unique and beautiful in a different way. To see all of these posts, click here.

It's always interesting to stumble across a modern building (in this case, the chapel below in Long Beach, CA; just a few blocks from the ocean) and find something very unique. I always wish I could find out the story behind it.


This chapel has a beautiful tile mosaic along its southeast entrance:



It depicts the vision of the tree of life found in the Book of Mormon.



On the right side is presumably the great and spacious building, high up in the air.



On the left is the tree of life, with lines of people in the confusing mists of darkness on the left.


 It's pretty fun to find things like this in these buildings. The primary room also has a large mural of Christ with the children (the same one found in St. George and Blanding), but I wasn't able to get inside. It was still neat to see this mosaic.

6 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous mural! I'd love to find a photo that showed the whole thing . . . I think I'll go searching . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just decided to incorporate visiting this mural in our Disneyland trip next year! Thank you for this post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in town for a work conference--Disneyland sounds more fun. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! May I suggest buildings? The Pasadena, CA stake center at 770 Sierra Madre Villa Ave, Pasadena, CA 91107. It's big, one of the last in the area built by members, and has interesting non-traditional architecture. Most notable is the perpendicular orientation of the cultural hall to the chapel that uses a full height (20+ feet) 6 inch thick 2-piece retractable wall to manage chapel overflow. Classrooms that open to the outdoors around the courtyard, a huge nursery area with its own attached outdoor play yard, commercial kitchen, stage, upstairs classrooms, a family history center in its basement, and an organ that the SoCal MoTab used to practice with add to its uniqueness. It's got a large central courtyard where I had my wedding reception, and extensive grounds that include a baseball field, soccer field, and large fenced playground.
    It has had many renovations but after the largest in 1997-ish, it was rededicated by then President Howard W. Hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a photo of the primary mural anywhere? Talk about amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do a panoramic photo of it. I helped put some ceramic pieces on this mural when I was 14. Wally Parker, artist for this work was my Priest Quorum Advisor!

      Delete