Sunday, March 29, 2015

Orem 4th and 5th Wards

Note: This post is one in a series that focuses on LDS architecture that is not historic, but that departs from standard cookie-cutter plans to become unique and beautiful in a different way. To see all of these posts, click here.

The Orem 4th and 5th Ward Meetinghouse is one that I am well acquainted with--it's the meetinghouse I attended for most of my childhood and youth. It was constructed in the 1950s.


The meetinghouse is on a large hill in the neighborhood, and is visible from most of the adjacent blocks.




The chapel juts out from the rest of the building, so I'm used to a chapel with lots of natural light.



The building has its quirks. There is a large basement that is used by the young men, and the primary meets on the second floor.


The hallway that leads to all of the primary classes is directly above the chapel, though, so it's not uncommon for those in sacrament meeting to sometimes hear the thump, thump, thump of children running down the hall. Maybe not the most efficient building--but I just love it's unique character. This building helped me to gain an appreciation for LDS architecture.

1 comment: