Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Provo Second Ward

Note: This post is one in a series that focuses on LDS architecture that is not historic, but that departs from standard cookie-cutter plans to become unique and beautiful in a different way. To see all of these posts, click here.

The Provo Second Ward is a perplexing building--it looks like it was kind of thrown together.


It's also pretty clear that there's been additions to the building in the strangest places.

I do like the glass they used in the steeple, though.

The chapel is wider than it is deep. The walkway at the back of the pews has some pillars that probably block views from the overflow into the chapel.





One of my favorite parts of this chapel was a painting in the lobby of the original Provo Second Ward--the building that this chapel replaced.


I haven't seen very many paintings like this before, that are so connected with the building and its members and the local history. I wish it was more common!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these. The original building is where my dad & his parents & siblings attended from 1934-1946. My grand-nephew & family currently attend the modern building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning reading about all of these meetinghouses! Is there a way we can see what the address/location of the buildings are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you message me I'm happy to share the location. In conversations with some who work for the Church, they use care in publishing addresses of these significant buildings for security reasons. So I don't want to make it too easy, but I'm happy to share information, and searching on the LDS Tools app will usually also work.

      Delete