Tuesday, August 25, 2020

A Blog Update

Note that this was published in 2020. I have begun regular updates again since this time.

***

After almost 6 years of consistent posting, nearly 600 posts, hundreds of messages and comments from readers, and hundreds of thousands of views on this blog, I have reached the point where I will no longer be able to publish regular posts on this blog.

When I started this blog in 2014, I was an undergraduate at BYU and had a lot of time for a hobby that required lots of early morning drives on Sunday mornings (when I knew that chapels would be open). Sometimes, in order to reach further chapels, I would leave my apartment at 5 or 6 AM.


In the years since then, I graduated from college, began full-time work, got married, had a baby, began graduate school in the evenings, and have juggled serving in the bishopric. I haven't had the time to do all of the visits and research that I was able to in the past.


If I do have time to visit chapels that I haven't been to before, I will still post on this blog. I will also continue to post updates on the pioneer temple renovations, which I am watching with great interest. You can also check out some of my other articles I've written:

10 Stunning Examples of Stained Glass Windows in LDS Meetinghouses - LDS Living

The Evolution of Sacred Space: The Changing Environment of the Endowment - BYU Religious Symposium, 2014

The Preservation and Destruction of LDS Tabernacles - BYU Religious Symposium, 2015

Stained Glass in Latter-day Saint Chapels - Pioneer Magazine, Vol. 66, No. 2 (2019)


I am very happy that I have been able to dedicate so much time to visiting temples, tabernacles, and chapels along the Mormon corridor and even outside of it. I'm also glad I've been able to work on this blog to document my pictures. My hope was to increase awareness of and appreciation for our architectural heritage in this Church, and I have had hundreds of people message me, many of them wanting to use the pictures in their own work. It makes me so happy to see other people enjoying the same thing I do.


I still welcome blog comments, messages to me, suggestions, feedback, or just conversation about these wonderful old buildings.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for your early morning dedication and publishing work. It has filled my Sundays with the Spirit and I've enjoyed reading each article. I've always been fascinated with historical architecture and this blog site is one of my favorites. All the best. A. Reed

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss weekly updates! But there us so much I haven't gone over that I will be back regularly to get it all read! Thank you for all the time and love you put into this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and will continue my research into your posts. I’m not even through half of them. Thank you so much for this labor of love.

    ReplyDelete