Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Preservation Update: SLC University Ward

I was slightly disheartened to learn that the University Ward, just to the west of the University of Utah campus, was not sold to the U of U as was planned, as was instead sold to a developer who has converted the building into residential units. (You can see pictures of the chapel when I visited it here.)

To the developer's credit, they have contained all renovations to the building footprint, so the exterior looks the same and is preserved, including the mosaic. And on the inside, it looks like they're treating the chapel at least a little bit sensitively, and the units there might retain some features.

But I had looked forward to this meetinghouse, particularly the chapel, being preserved in its large-room format, with the rafters, organ, and gilded scriptures painted on the rafters. I'm curious to see what it will look like when completed.

4 comments:

  1. Such a tragedy. This a unique, one of a kind chapel. I have so many memories as a freshman at the University of Utah attending this building. It was the first institute for the university as well as a chapel. The ward members included tabernacle organists, university presidents, general authorities, college professors, deans. I was a theatre major and the head of the dept. was my bishop. The acoustics in the chapel were remarkable. Music sounded wonderful there including the pipe organ. The architect was Harold W Burton who designed, the Hawaiian temple, Cardston Temple, and Oakland Temple. He was responsible for so much of the church architecture in the 20th century. The conversion to housing is a sin. Why oh why did the Church sell it in the first place and shame on the University for not pursuing the offices and concert hall originally planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A meetinghouse in Blackfoot Idaho sold in November 2023. https://ldsarchitecture.wordpress.com/2011/12/31/blackfoot-1st-ward-exterior/ it appears a law firm moved in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the website of "The Burton" which is the name of the apartment building. The units they showed don't look like they incorporated much of the original chapel interior. I saw no units with the decorated beams or organ facade. Sad, I would have preferred it to be law offices. I had always believed the University Ward chapel would be protected. I am glad my friend Paul Anderson is not around anymore to see this. He was the expert on Mormon architecture. He was with the church museum for many years and with the BYU art museum. This would break his heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw report that the Logan Utah Tabernacle was rededicated this past weekend. L. Chris Jones

    ReplyDelete