Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Blog/Preservation Update: Tucson Chapel Celebrates Anniversary

Note: Preservation Updates are a regularly occurring series of posts where I round up recent information on historic LDS buildings and their futures. Depending on the age of the post, there may be newer information available. Click here to see all Preservation Updates.
 
I wanted to begin this post by thanking the many readers who have come to this blog and shared their comments. The blog has grown in viewers more than I thought it would--it had more views in the past month alone than it did during its first 7 months.

I have also appreciated the various comments people have left on some posts, either adding to my knowledge or just expressing their feelings on the architecture posted. I'd like to encourage all readers to continue commenting on these posts. I always appreciate input, dialogue, and the sharing of ideas.

As far as a blog update goes, I am still working on a series of posts relating to the preservation and destruction of LDS Tabernacles. I have also gone back and updated some posts with more pictures as I've come across them, including pictures of the stained glass in the Murray First Ward and of the rooms in the Manti Temple. Additionally, while this blog was meant to focus on meetinghouse architecture instead of temple architecture, my posts on the Manti and St. George temples have become some of the most widely viewed, so I've created (and will shortly be posting) similar posts on the floor plans and interiors of the temples in Salt Lake and Logan.

Finally, there will be no new post on Thursday, because I will be on a short vacation. In the absence of a post, feel free to peruse the blog archives.

***
The oldest chapel in Tucson recently had an open house to mark 105 years since the first congregation of the Church was organized in that city.

The chapel in question stands on Fort Lowell road. It looks beautiful, and may even have some colored/stained windows. Construction started in 1927, and it was dedicatd in 1936.

(Source: Church History Library)

(Source: Google Maps)

I'm glad to see that it continues to stand, and hope that it continues to be preserved in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment