Thursday, October 29, 2015

Logan Fourth Ward: Chapel Interior

This chapel is beautiful. At the front are some stained glass windows, and more ornate ones are high on the sides of the chapel. There is a beautiful sounding pipe organ that I took the opportunity to play, too. The floor gently slopes toward the pulpit.



At the back is a mural of Cache Valley pioneers (I'll provide detailed pictures of it later):

The mural was originally at the front of the chapel, where the stained glass is now, as you can see from this old picture:

(Image Source: Church History Library)

The mural was moved to a back in a later renovation, as seen below. I guess I'm OK with this, only because it was replaced with stained glass, and it stayed in the chapel.

(Image Source: Church History Library)

Also, here's a picture I found where wooden beams around the ceiling and walls were removed. The mural was already in the back at this time, too. I'm wondering if they weren't removed at some point and put back in later.

(Image Source: Church History Library)

In any case, my next few posts will focus on details of this chapel.

5 comments:

  1. I have no personal knowledge of this chapel, but I would guess this last photo is the earliest and the chapel originally had no mural and no wooden beams. It seems unlikely the beams would be removed and later replaced. The new mural might have covered the original stained glass for a time, before being moved to the rear of the chapel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually might be the case, Grant. I'll have to see if I can find some more history on the building, but I could see the mural having been added later.

      Delete
  2. The mural was put over the stained glass I believe in 1962. An Earthquake collapsed the ceiling of the choir loft as well as the east wall in the gym. My thought was they put the mural over the windows because the light was to bright when sacrament meeting was held in the evening at sunset would beam in. I was a young boy at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The building was originally built with the same stone as the Logan tabernacle about the same time and the brick facade was added later in the 20s or 30s. As you walk into the chapel the walls are about 3 feet thick from the original stone. The building was remodeled in the med 70s mainly classrooms on the south side, gym and northeast corner jr. Sunday school room. If you go behind the choir loft in the basement you could see the original organ bellows that were hand pumped until they got an electricity they were well preserved when I was there in the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Dave! It's a real gem of a building, and it's nice to know the history!

      Delete