Thursday, October 15, 2015

Provo Third Ward: Stained Glass

Simple stained glass used to grace the windows of the Provo 3rd Ward building. They were installed around 1941 or 1942. Verl G. Dixon noted that he made full scale drawings on brown paper of each different design. But, if you drive past the building now, it's no longer there. I'd assumed it had been put into storage or (worse) destroyed.


That is, until I ran past this chapel on 400 N and 700 W in Provo (literally, I was running past it) when I noticed the windows on the west side.






Yep, the stained glass was moved to this chapel when it was built. So, the next day, I went to visit the chapel itself.

Looks normal, right?


Nope. This stunning sight is at the front of the chapel.



It appears that the stained glass is lit from behind. I also took a lot of pictures with the lights off, which was how I first saw it. Since I took so many, though, I'll save them for my next post.

3 comments:

  1. So cool--Thanks! My great Grandma attended in the original building. Now I can tell my folks that the glass she saw is still around :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed the stained glass window in the Primary room. It's lovely. I attended church in the original building and then in this one as an adult. My dad was a bishop in this building.

    ReplyDelete