Thursday, October 22, 2015

"Those Who've Gone Before": Union Stake Tabernacle Stained Glass

This series honors LDS Architecture that is no longer standing. To see all the posts in this series, click here.

Eastern Oregon had a surprisingly early and strong Mormon influence due to logging activities that extended up here in the late 1800s. This means there are some good buildings in the area (such as the chapel in Union, Oregon). One of the most beautiful was the old tabernacle for the Union Stake in La Grande, Oregon:

(Image Source: Church History Library)

After some back and forth, the tabernacle was demolished in 1977. The beautiful stained glass in the building was disbursed among LDS Chapels in Baker City, Halfway, Enterprise, Elgin, Pendleton, Pilot Rock, and La Grande. All have some stained glass that was salvaged from the tabernacle.

Here, the sun shines brightly through stained glass in the Elgin, Oregon meetinghouse.


This window was placed above the main entry to the chapel. It may not blend in with the original building all that well, but at least it's there!

(Image Source: Church History Library)

Incidentally, I also found this image of the Elgin Building. This must be a classroom or other smaller window, but I wasn't able to find out which one.

(Image Source: Church History Library)

One of my readers sent me these lovely photos of the glass moved to the meetinghouse in Island City (right outside of La Grande):


You'll notice the one above was the rose window on the front of the building, above the two arched windows.


One of the most interesting things about stained glass is how differently it was treated on a case-by-case basis. As far as I know, La Grande's stained glass is the most widely disbursed. While it's nice that now multiple congregations can enjoy them, it does reduce the overall impact to have them spread out.

12 comments:

  1. Does anyone know if the photo above was of the Tabernacle located at the intersection of N Ave and 5th Street--which is the current location of The Observer Newspaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, wonderful wonderful memories in a fantasy wonderland

      Delete
    2. This photo shown is of the Union chapel. I actually found this looking for a photo of the LaGrande tabernacle. I grew up just a block away from the tabernacle and was always amazed at the architecture. It was a sad day when they tore that beautiful building down. Reading some of the other posts was enlightening, I had no idea that all the stain glass windows went to so many different places. I am so glad that they went to places where people can enjoy them

      Delete
  2. Yes, all the above windows pictured came from the Tabernacle in La Grande, OR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in the Union Stake and lived for a time just a block away from the tabernacle in La Grande. I always thought it was a shame the building was torn down. I used to sit in Stake Conference and be fascinated with the light shining through the windows on the north and west sides of the large chapel. I supposed the reason the building was torn down was due to lack of parking. Fortunately, other historic tabernacles have been saved, such as the ones in Vernal and Provo that are now temples and one in American Fork.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also remember a large picture of Jesus looking up praying in Gethsemane in the largest meeting room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were two paintings in the chapel. One of Gethsemane (not sure who did it or where it ended up) and Lewis Ramsey's painting of Joseph Receiving the Gold Plates. The latter painting was sold to the Sugar City Idaho Ward and then gifted to the Portland Temple where it is today. I'd love more info on the Gethsemane mural if I ever find it!

      Delete
    2. My father salvaged both from the tabernacle at the time it was literally being demolished. The stake president sold them to him as there had been no buyers up to that point. He brought them both back to sugar city Idaho. They were both in our garage for a period of time before the restoration picture was hung in the sugar, city chapel, and the other, the one of Christ in Gethsemane, I believe, was sold to a funeral home in Rigby. I would have to check on that for sure. I believe the name of the funeral home was Ekersell funeral home.

      Delete
    3. Kurt, this is fantastic! I'll reach out to the funeral home in Rigby to see if they know of it. Thanks!

      Delete
    4. I gave them a call and they don't have one like that. So either it was a different home or they got rid of it at some point. The search continues...

      Delete
  5. My job takes me through all of the buildings that received the stained glass windows after the 1977 demolition. I’ve always sensed there was something special about those windows but never knew the story until now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a list or images I'd love to see them!

      Delete