Sunday, January 12, 2020

Laramie Ward

My blog has only highlighted one other institute building--the one in Logan, built in 1928. As far as I can tell, the only other institute building that is historic (by which I mean, built pre-1950) is the one for the University of Wyoming in Laramie. In 1936, President Heber J. Grant dedicated it to serve both as a meetinghouse and an institute, and it continues to serve in that function today.

(Image Source: Church History Library)

It was constructed of native rock that gives it an original look. It had some really neat prairie style elements along its sides and in details such as the doors (which are no longer there).

(Image Source: Church History Library)

The building still looks largely the same, although it has been expanded and modernized.





From pictures I found online, the interior of the building looks extremely modernized, and I doubt any historic elements remain at all.

1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that the architecture style is a mix of Prarie style and art Moderne. A beautiful and unique building.

    ReplyDelete