Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sharon Ward (Orem)

Note: This post is one in a series that focuses on LDS architecture that is not historic, but that departs from standard cookie-cutter plans to become unique and beautiful in a different way. To see all of these posts, click here.

The Sharon Ward was constructed around 1958, because it looks like it was just completed when this photo was taken in that year:

(Source: Church History Library)

This was taken a couple of decades later:


(Source: Church History Library)

And here's what it looks like currently:


Obviously, it went through some major renovations in the 1960s or early 1970s. Most notably, it's clear that the chapel was widened. Perhaps it was originally too small. Also, the rock on the front is not original. I think I preferred the square theme from before--it went better with the windows--but I'm OK with this, too. Finally, the original doors looked a lot better--but at least they still have the details on the doorways.


The chapel is mostly memorable for its pipe organ:




The only other distinctive thing I could find in this building was the small pews used by the children in the Primary Room. It's hard to tell how small they are, but they are very small.


The primary room also had this miniature table in the back. I wonder what it was used for--perhaps it was part of the Junior Sunday School program, prior to the meeting consolidation in 1980.

2 comments:

  1. I attended the Sharon ward in the early '70s when my father was a student at BYU. The small table in the primary room would have been used to bless and pass the Sacrament to the children. This was done in Jr. Sunday School prior to 1980. Interesting that it's still there-- most of these tables have been removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, glad to know that hunch was correct! In all of the chapels I've been in, I think I've only seen 3 of these tables. I'm glad it's still there, though!

      Delete